Roof shot and killed nine parishioners in a Charleston church on June 17, 2015. His apparent motive was that he hated black people. The killing has invoked passionate debate, about gun control, the Confederate flag, and the collective guilt of white people for racism.
Now for some points that will prove unwelcome in the frenzied search for culprits in the aftermath of the crime.
1. White people are less "racist" (I hate that overused word) than black people. Some black people have been calling for a race war for some time, on Twitter and elsewhere. Blacks have been shooting cops since Michael Brown was killed in the act of assaulting a white police officer, and expressing hatred of whites and advocating murder of policemen everywhere.
2. Blacks commit murders and other crimes against whites in far greater proportion than the opposite. Bad attitudes, racial prejudice and an inability to be held accountable for these things are endemic within the black community. These facts are bound to increase prejudice against blacks by others, not only by whites, but also by Hispanics, Asians and Jews, who are frequently the victims of black violence and crime.
Colin Flaherty writes in the American Thinker, in an article titled The War on Black People in South Carolina: the First Casualty is Truth:
In Charleston, locals know racial violence is far more widespread than that. Only it is far more likely to be black on white.And:
A black person is 50 times more likely to assault a white person than the other way around. The black on white rape numbers are even more out of proportion when compared to white on black sexual assault.3. The Confederate flag had nothing to do with the crime. However, the Daily Kos and other leftist sites are calling for the flag to be removed from public display in South Carolina. Lindsay Graham has defended the flag and stated that it will not come down. Graham is right. Confederate descendants, and there are millions of us, love the flag for other than "racist" reasons. It's not coming down, and those who don't like it can self-copulate.
4. Dylann Roof's crime is not a factor of his political leanings. Whether he is a Democrat or a Republican is irrelevant. The little punk is nuts, crazy and insane. Insanity is not a political persuasion. Rabid political partisans on either side should stop trying to make political hay out of the tragedy.
5. There are many good black people who have thrown their lot in with the forces of tolerance and civilization. Many blacks in the South identify with the Confederate flag and are aware that the Northern Myth (of fighting the Civil War to free the slaves) is a lie of Biblical proportions. The criticisms in this post are not directed towards them. Every man and woman is an individual, to be judged on his or her own merits alone.
6. We will not give up our guns, and become helpless against a central government that seeks greater and greater control over our lives and liberties, as well as defenseless to violent criminals. It is a shame that insane people periodically murder innocents with guns, and solutions must be sought to alleviate this. However, such tragedies will have to be endured until solutions are found that do not remove guns from law-abiding citizens.
That's the way I see it anyhow.